Not a lot of people turned in answers last week, so keep the same problems for this week. Also, learn the sequence for pi. Awards will be given for Pi Day! March 3, 2009 is Square Root Day. 3 is the square root of 9, and 3 times 3 is 9.
1. February 2, 2004 was the last Square Root Day. When is the next Square Root Day?
2. Name two formulas that use square roots.
3. How many Square Root Days occur each century?
4. What is the sum of the first five squares? 9 is a square because 32 = 9.
5. Figure out my wife’s height using the following clues. Her height is x feet and y inches. (x + y)2 = 144. (x – y)2 = 4.
6. For the first time since 1997, the Dow Jones finished below 7000. It finished at 6,763. What is the closet square to 6,763?
7. I am thinking of a number. If I take the square root of my number, add two, square the number, and then divide by 5, the result is 45. What is my number?
8. A googol is a 1 followed by 100 zeros. What is the square root of a googol?
1 comment:
Your wife will probably kill me but the only answer I can get to the problem is that your wife is 7 feet 5 inches tall. I enjoy working through your problems. That I get answers like this illustrates why I should remain teaching third grade.
Post a Comment